1st Lt. Mark L. Curtis
Assistant Public Affairs Officer
MICHIGAN -- With only a few weeks remaining until the Great Lakes Region Cadet Competition, the Michigan Wing held its own annual competition to choose its representatives in the six-wing meet.
The Army National Guard Army in Howell, Mich., along with the Livingston Composite Squadron played host as three drill teams and three color guards from all across the wing gave it their best shot, demonstrating what they have learned and practiced for in the weeks and months leading up to the meet.
Boulle-Norman Memorial Cadet Squadron, consisting largely of the lineup that won the previous year's drill team competition, returned to compete again, this time against new competitors from the Livingston Composite and Selfridge Cadet squadrons.
Color guards from the Oakland Composite, Sanilac Composite and Sixgate Composite squadrons challenged each other with their expert ceremonial demonstrations.
Day One comprised of uniform inspections, standard and innovative drill presentations as well as indoor and outdoor color guards demonstrations, ending with academic challenges to the cadets.
The following day, the cadets faced a brisk and chilly morning for the mile run, finishing the competition with the drill teams facing each other in very challenging games of volleyball. Team spirit filled the armory's gymnasium as cadets, officers and parents cheered their teams on until a winner could be determined for first, second and third place.
After scores were tabulated, trophies were set up in preparation for the awards presentation. Lt. Col. Mark Phleeger, director of cadet programs; Maj Larry Bailey, project officer for the competition, and Col. Michael A. Saile, Michigan Wing commander, came together to thank the competing cadets, announce the winners and present the trophies to the winning teams.
Lt. Col. Bill Day, a longstanding member of the Air Force Association in Michigan, presented the wing with a brand new, very beautiful trophy donated by the AFA to replace the old one for the winners of the drill competition.
Scores for the color guard competition were read first, followed by the scores for the drill teams.
- First Place -- Oakland Composite Squadron.
- Second Place -- Sanilac Composite Squadron.
- Third Place -- Sixgate Composite Squadron.
- Fleet Foot Award, Male -- Jonathan Pupillo, Oakland Composite Squadron.
- Fleet Foot Award, Female -- Michelle Gray, Sixgate Composite Squadron.
- Written Exam High Score -- Gandy Merreck, Oakland Composite Squadron.
- First Place -- Boulle Norman Memorial Cadet Squadron.
- Second Place -- Selfridge Cadet Squadron.
- Third Place -- Livingston Composite Squadron.
- Fleet Foot Award, Male -- Carter Del Rosario, Boulle Norman Memorial Cadet Squadron.
- Fleet Foot Award, Female -- Emily Hodyna, Boulle Norman Memorial Cadet Squadron.
- Written Exam High Score -- Alex Gaunt, Boulle Norman Memorial Cadet Squadron.
The winning teams will represent the Michigan Wing at Wright Patterson Air Force Base in Ohio the first weekend of May. All involved look forward to the fun and challenges that cadet competition bring to the Civil Air Cadet Program.